Welcome Guest Search | Active Topics | Members

Red Dead Redemption Options
Thryon
Posted: Wednesday, May 19, 2010 2:06:11 AM

I spent a good hour with the game and this is my first impressions. I can tell you that the game will sit in my pile for the next few months. Needless to say I was not at all impressed.

How does Rockstar manage to create such unlikable lead characters all the time? I absolutely despise the "hero". I cannot get into a game with a hero I do not like.

The game world looks great from far, but as soon as the camera zooms in, it is easy to see that the texture are quite plain and dull.

The physics engine is quite buggy. Do not get me wrong, I really liked the floating hay and moonwalking characters, but it I am not sure the devs were going for that spagetti western look.

Also for an open world game, you are even more contrained that playing GTA IV. I kept having to restart mission because I wondered to far from my "pen". The thing is that I did not choose to start a mission, the game does that for you.

Def not the same game I tested out at PAX. Maybe after investing a wack of hours will it get better, but I am not ready to invest those hours at this time. Maybe after Prince of Persia (which is a blast to play) and Alan Wake will I return to this game.

Sileed
Posted: Wednesday, May 19, 2010 3:08:54 AM

You hated GTA4, why even bother buying this game - same devs, same engine

I'm playing the same game I demoed at PAX East...in fact I think some of the character model movement/horse controls are improved.

They have improved on a lot of things over GTA4 (aside from what I mentioned). The game does start slow, I will admit but I'm having a blast just roaming around the country side shooting animals, searching for treasure and finding random encounters.

Is it gritty? Yes. Are they going for that spaghetti western feel? Yes (do you think maybe that's why FS was giving The Good, The Bad and The Ugly away free with the game??)

I think the storyline will be great, the character development will be at least good (comparing it to GTA4 here) if not great.

Not every main character is a Bruce Willis/Will Smith clone from the latest action flick. R* likes to gives them some flaws, some personality and they aren't always the nicest people in the world - they are just doing what they gotta do to get by - you get to decide if that entails killing everyone or helping them or somewhere in between and more so in this game with the introduction of a Fame/Honour system.

If you liked the old westerns and enjoy a sandbox type game - take a look at Red Dead Redemption.

My name is Sileed and I approve this message.

Vectrex65
Posted: Wednesday, May 19, 2010 9:50:46 AM

I also pick up Red Dead Redemption, have only spent about 1 hour with it, so I have no real option on it yet, however my expectations are high, so well will see.

One thing that did happen that I found a bit frustrating, when Bonnie asks you to accompany her on her nightly rounds around the ranch, she say follow me to the 2 horses over by the building across the front yard, you are prompted to mount one of the horses, I got on one, she got on the other, than nothing happened, I stood there a while, then I wandered off a bit (trying to trigger the next part of the game) was told to head back to Bonnie, did that a couple of time, still nothing, started messing around with the shooting, ended up shooting something (a window i think) and the Game said “You Broke the Law” (or something like that) and reloaded the mission/sequence, so this time as we walked to those 2 horses, I thought I will get on the other horse, so I ran ahead and jumped on the opposite horse, and the game advanced, like it should. Not sure if that was a random event or a sign of things to come?

Anyone else have the same experience or can warn of other similar things to come?02
Thryon
Posted: Wednesday, May 19, 2010 10:14:57 AM

Vectrex65 wrote:
Anyone else have the same experience or can warn of other similar things to come?02

In the first part of the game,I arrived at the base camp ahead of my guide. The game did nothing. I was told to return to my guide which I did, still nothing. I left down the hill and came back up to the guide and still it told me to go to the guide. I dropped off the horse and back on before it triggered the sequence.

Maybe this will end up like Oblivion where everyone has a funny story to tell.

Thryon
Posted: Wednesday, May 19, 2010 10:24:59 AM

Sileed wrote:
You hated GTA4, why even bother buying this game - same devs, same engine.

True, but I loved Crackdown which was designed by the creator of GTA. I actually love sandbox games. But a true sandbox game will allow the gamer complete freedom over his/her choices. Crackdown for example allowed the player to take on anyone from the start. The game world was limited only by needed special powers to reach certain locations. Red Dead Redemption kept stopping me from doing what I wanted to do.

You mention that R* creates flawed characters. True, but since this is a sandbox game, should it not be the gamer that dictates the nature of the character. R* does not create flwed characters, they exploit stereotypes. Niko is a stereotype of just about every non-military movie Russian ever seen. John Marston is just a stereotype of every western anti-hero seen in the movies.

Sileed
Posted: Wednesday, May 19, 2010 6:54:38 PM

I think it's ok if sandbox games limit the storyline (ie where u go, who you see etc) for the sake of the storyline. I also think devs wised up to the fact that if you let Player A do what he wants even if he doesn't have the skills/equipment and he just gets himself killed over and over that there are enough dumb Player A that just won't quit, get frustrated a label the game a failure - which it is not.
GTA$ and from I see of RDR don't stop me from free roaming but I can't walk up to the final boss and whack him either - I appreciate that. I want to enjoy their story.

Lets face it - you have Gamer ADHD, if a game doesn't trap you in the first 15-20mins, you play out the hour or so and you're done. That's fine I guess, they are your experiences. I just don't think you give some games enough of a chance. quite frankly I guess I do the same sometimes but i do it before I buy the game.

If you like Westerns and you liked the mechanics etc of GTA4 - you'll love this game.

Thryon I hope you will still join us for some MP Free Roam, from my understanding there are game types that are cooperative in nature. I'll investigate and report back.

Thryon
Posted: Wednesday, May 19, 2010 10:22:14 PM

I am not done with Red Dead, just intend to finish PoP and Alan Wake first.

Kireler
Posted: Thursday, May 20, 2010 8:29:59 AM

Rented it last night ... and I'm really enjoying running around "Hunting" ... Why is it that a game that has hunting as a mini-game ... is better then a Hunting game lol. Didn't do too much of the story yet ... but we'll see.

If it's like GTA ... I'll get about half way into the game then stop playing lol.

Sileed
Posted: Thursday, May 20, 2010 10:15:05 AM

If anyone got the Free Movie with their RDR @ FS and doesn't want it - let me know please, I need another copy for my Dad.

Thryon
Posted: Thursday, May 20, 2010 11:25:39 AM

If I got the free movie I would have given it to you as I really do not like westerns (exceptions for Blazing Saddles" and "Wild Wild West") but since I did not get it, I have nothing to give you.

ps/ Yes I purchased RDR even though I do not like Westerns or GTA games.

Sileed
Posted: Thursday, May 20, 2010 11:38:24 AM

Thryon wrote:
If I got the free movie I would have given it to you as I really do not like westerns (exceptions for Blazing Saddles" and "Wild Wild West") but since I did not get it, I have nothing to give you.

ps/ Yes I purchased RDR even though I do not like Westerns or GTA games.

Uhhhh so +1 for post count or are you going back to FS for your free gift??

Thryon
Posted: Thursday, May 20, 2010 1:35:29 PM

Sileed wrote:

Uhhhh so +1 for post count or are you going back to FS for your free gift??

I trashed my reciept so I cannot return for my FREE movie. I did not consider the +1 to post count, but wanted to state that if things went different I would have given you my copy.

It is the thought that counts after all.

ps/ add one more to my post count. 28